More than a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits (cookies), afternoon tea is traditionally a formal affair offering ritual and respite in a world that has gone a bit crazy. But how do you navigate all that fine bone china and the three-tiered tea tray? In what order do you eat the delectable delicacies? Should you use silverware? How do you prepare your scones to eat in an accordingly polite fashion? And what about the tea itself? What is the best way to serve it? What should you put in it?
For children in particular, Afternoon Tea teaches a multitude of skills: confidence in social situations, planning, attention to detail, good manners, motor skills, patience, sharing, and conversation. Like all life skills, the earlier they can be learned, the better.
Afternoon tea is the ultimate sharing meal and the perfect time to practice good manners and consideration for others. Our Afternoon Tea Etiquette Classes take away the mystique of this 200 year old British tradition. You will learn how to behave like a proper lady or gentleman while enjoying a full tea, including finger sandwiches, scones with jam and imported clotted cream, and a selection of mini desserts and cake.
This class includes:
- How to be a gracious host or hostess and courteous guest at tea time.
- A brief history of afternoon tea.
- Important etiquette pointers.
- How to set the table for afternoon tea.
- How to serve and drink tea.
- Napkin usage and placement.
- Pointers for hosting your own tea party.
- Basic table manners.
- A full afternoon tea of finger sandwiches, scones with jam and clotted cream, mini desserts and cake.
Dates & Cost:
- Dates will be announced soon.
- Mommy/Daddy and Me. (One adult and one child) $84.95. Additional child $39.95; additional adult $49.95.
- Adults’ Class $54.95 per person
*Classes start at 2 PM and last 90 minutes to 2 hours.
Dress code: Smart. Ladies are welcome to wear hats if they desire.
Instructor: Jayne Clifford, co-owner of Sealantro and native Brit. Jayne is a Cambridge University graduate and former travel wellness consultant who has presented at NASA, Edmunds.com and other national companies. Already a published author, Jayne plans on completing her book about afternoon tea this summer.
Reservations: 772-492-3614 or stop by Sealantro.
Address: 2060 6th Avenue, Vero Beach, FL 32960 (6th Avenue and Miracle Mile, next to Labels Consignments, diagonally opposite the Hampton Inn).